From: Don <dr2@xxxxxxxx>
To: 'Consulting on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)' <consult400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Consult400] AS400/iseries/midrange/RPG experience no longer marketable?

Indeed.com is your friend.  Best job aggregator out there.

iSeries(or whatever) jobs are getting predictably much harder to find, and
in some metro areas IMPOSSIBLE to find.  Many iSeries shoppes have been told
"move to windows or go job hunting..."...but then, thanks to Gerstner, this
was predictable.

I HEAVILY suggest that if at all possible you find a way to retool.
Business analytics is a good option to look at.  If you want to stay in the
programming realm, you're going to be programming in some variation of C,
java, python, php, etc...  You may want to pickup R and python when you get
the time anyway as I have a feeling that they will be near term big players
in the data analytics realm...cognos and spss are IBM, yes, but...the world
is finally waking up to the reality that what's good for IBM isn't
necessarily best for them...

Good luck dude, you've joined a very big club of ex-iSeries'ers that are
having to retool and regroup...thanks to IBM...