Personally, for me it's always been less about how many hours a week I work
and more about how long does it take to get the job done, whatever it is. If
I can get the job done with 20 hours programming, and then have the rest of
the week off, I'm all for it. I've ALWAYS got plenty of stuff to do around
home to keep me busy when I'm not working. On the other hand, if the job
requires me to work 80 hours in one week to meet a deadline, I'll do that
too without giving it a second thought.

I might be wrong on this and if I am, I know that I'll get blasted here for
it, but, as I see it, there are two kinds of consultants/contractors:

First, there's the kind who goes into a project and they find out what is
needed and they put in the time, no matter how short or how long it takes,
to get the job done, and then they move on to the next project. They don't
pad their hours/quotes, instead they do a thorough analysis up front to find
out what it's going to take to get the job done and they work from that
timeline.

Then there's the contractor who goes in to a project with the intent to drag
it out as long as humanly possible. In my experience, this is usually
someone going in for a government-type project because a)- those projects
are notorious for cost overruns b)- there is rarely any actual work getting
done, instead it's 90% meetings to talk about what needs to get done. This
is usually a person who learned to program in one language, say MVS Cobol,
and who does not want to learn to do anything else and whose only interest
in being at the client is to bring home a paycheck.

I have nothing but respect for the first type and no use whatsoever for the
second.

I don't believe there is anyone on who monitors Midrange.com on a regular
basis who falls into the second category. If they did, they wouldn't have
time to monitor Midrange.com anyway. They'd be in a meeting. :-)