By running *CALLER you do not lose ILE benefits but you do add to your list of things that can go wrong. *CALLER is pretty normal but from what you say about running everything standalone your situation is not normal.

Did you convert to IBM i from another platform that did not support program calls?

If you run "standalone" how is the application flow controlled?

Without knowing more about what you are actually doing it is difficult to advise.

Just FYI - You could have dealt with the commitment control issue by changing the commitment scope to job level. ILE can be simple but you need to know the potential pitfalls - and for COBOL there are more than for RPG!