Jeff,

I would think that you could use the OVRDBF with the SHARE(*YES) on your
web application, but each invocation of the program from your web
interface will start a new instance of the program, so I would think that
there would be no difference at all in application speed. At least with
this method, then the share level will be set the way you want.

Rich Loeber - @richloeber
Kisco Information Systems
[1]http://www.kisco.com

Jeff Buening wrote:

When working with our Online System Screens(Green Screen), a CL at the
front does OVRDBF FILE(XXX) SHARE(*YES) then OPNDBF FILE(XXX) OPTION(*ALL
). This is used for speed so all the programs screen to screen don't have
to reopen the files.

When an outside user uses our Web Interface to rate, they go through the
same programs that the Online System Screens uses to rate, but there is no
OVRDBF or OPNDBF done like the online system. This caused rating on the
Online System to rate fine, but when testing through Web rating got a
record lock between two programs in the same job since no sharing done and
each program had its own Position on the File. We fixed the issue.

My question now is why not have the Web do the same as the Online system,
since same programs? Besides trying to be consistent (Web vs Online), If a
request from the Web comes through and we run through multiple programs
that are opening same files multiple times is using OVRDBF or OPNDBF speed
benefit worth it? Or are we talking a very insignificant benefit?

Just curious if anyone has experienced this or has any thoughts on the
matter?

Thanks,
Jeff