"Bruce Vining" <bvining@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mailman.3151.1176824705.2544.cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What information is it that you want to access? Perhaps there's a better
way to get at that information as you're not really interested in program
status due to error conditions.

Bruce,

I can think of a lot of reasons why I would want most of this information
available to the program during run-time. For the one particular item I am
working on now, I need the program name and module name of the currently
running program. This is so that I can call a sub-routine that calls the
QlnDumpCobol API to get a formatted dump for a specific application program
when it detects a "handled" (the program decides it can't continue)
exception in the program logic.

What I mean by "handled exception" is not just a COBOL-type exceptions, but
rather an exception as defined by the program logic. For example, you
attempt to compute a date based on certain other values from a customer
record and you end up with a date that is not "reasonable". You can't
continue processing and need to force termination with an appropriate
message. In our case, we also want to produce a formatted dump which would
show all the working storage items used to make the calculation which would
help answer the question as to how/why this happened?

It would be very helpful to have all that information as part of the
formatted dump, as it would be IF it would be populated.

Is there some other API that I can call at the beginning of each program to
get this data so that it would be available for later if a handled exception
occurs and a dump is requested?

SPECIAL-NAMES.
PROGRAM STATUS IS PGM-STATUS-AREA.
EJECT
DATA DIVISION.
FILE SECTION.
EJECT
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
SKIP1
01 PGM-STATUS-AREA IS GLOBAL VALUE SPACES.
05 PGM-PROGRAM-NAME PIC X(10).
05 PGM-LIBRARY-NAME PIC X(10).
05 PGM-MODULE-NAME PIC X(10).
05 PGM-STATEMENT-NUMBER PIC X(10).