If you want to check for the lock on a member of  file, specify it on the
ALCOBJ command.  e.g.,  'ALCOBJ OBJ((Z13WORK/UEC101 *FILE *EXCL
member-name)) WAIT(0)'

A couple of points for which you should be careful:
1)  If you really want to check want to know if the file is in use, I
would use an *EXCL (exclusive) lock rather than a *SHRRD (shared for read)
lock.
2) CHKOUT will not work for source physical files nor any file in the
QSYS.LIB file system.  (Please see 'Restrictions:' under the help text for
the command.)

Regarding using the QWCLOBJL API, make sure it is coded as a program call
*not* a procedure call.  I believe program calls are the default. However,
several things can change that.  If you've got a 'PROCESS LINKPRC', a
'LINKAGE IS PROCEDURE', or another statement changing the default call
behavior, you would need to code "CALL PROGRAM 'QWCLOBJL'."

Michael Quigley
AS/400 Programming Section
The Way International
www.TheWay.org