"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mailman.737.1156346481.5750.cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That said - you need to consider whether you really need to do this stuff
in
"assembler" - the optimizer used by ILE COBOL is far superior to that used
on the mainframe COBOL as far as I know - I would tend to convert the
assembler to COBOL as a first cut and then to C if needed.  You may also
find that many of the functions you need are available as COBOL intrinsic
or as callable APIs.  If you give us a list of the type of functions you
are
currently running in assembler we can point you in the right direction.

If ILE COBOL is that powerful then the best solution would be to rewrite the
routines using it. That would simplify things as we don't have any really
strong Assembler expertise in-house and it has always been problematic the
few times a change to one of them was necessary.

BTW, VSE/ESA as well as the other 390 platforms have also implemented LE for
all the high level languages including COBOL. It has been available for some
time. The lion's share of our COBOL is compiled with the newer LE version. I
can see from browsing the COBOL/ILE manual that they are very, very similar.
I believe that IBM is trying to make the Language Environment concept
standard on all platforms.