We're going back a while in time (and really stretching my memory) - but
---

a.)   We used vsam managed sam for a number of batch style transaction
files --- ie - in a payroll stream - program a
      creates a file (vsam sam) and passes it to 10 other downstream
programs.  This was a variable length, occurs
      depending on file on vsam.  When converted, we maxed it out --- and
the "depending upon" variable tells us
      how many "buckets" we really used.  It ended up not causing us to
make many code changes.
b.)   We took and had reformat / rebuild programs for every master file we
had in the place.  Remember - this was in
      the day of "nifty" ODBC connections, etc --- so we had unload
programs to go to create a sequential 9 track
      tape, took the 9 track tape to a PC, created a sequential file which
was then copied to the AS400 using 5250
      emulation connections.
c.)   We also had vsam files which had multiple record formats buried in
the same VSAM file --- each record format
      had a different record layout / record length - you end up on the
iSeries using a "record selector program" and
      having a lot more physical files (one for each record type - fixed
length of course) and then one logical file which
      sits over all all the physicals combined......

Dale Nieswiadomy

Livingston County Information & Technology Services
(585) 243-7113

dnieswiadomy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

             "Michael
             Rosinger"