Try using the following

WORKING STORAGE

01            PARM.
    05        PARM-STRING       PIC  X(999).
    05        PARM-STRLEN       PIC S9(03) COMP-3.
    05        PARM-STRPOS       PIC S9(03) COMP-3.
    05        PARM-PATTERN      PIC  X(999).
    05        PARM-PATLEN       PIC S9(03) COMP-3.
    05        PARM-TRANS        PIC  X(01).
    05        PARM-TRIM         PIC  X(01).
    05        PARM-WILD         PIC  X(01).
    05        PARM-RESULT       PIC S9(03) COMP-3.

PROCEDURE DIVISION

    MOVE    120                 TO   PARM-STRLEN      -- length of string to
search
    MOVE    1                   TO   PARM-STRPOS      -- starting position
of search
    MOVE    SEARCH-PAT          TO   PARM-PATTERN     -- pattern to search
    MOVE    25                  TO   PARM-PATLEN      -- length of pattern
    MOVE    '1'                 TO   PARM-TRANS       -- ??
    MOVE    '1'                 TO   PARM-TRIM        -- trim pattern
    MOVE    ' '                 TO   PARM-WILD.       -- wildcard char
    MOVE    SEARCH-STG          TO   PARM-STRING      -- char string to
search
    MOVE    0                   TO   PARM-RESULT      -- initialize result
    CALL   'QCLSCAN'         USING   PARM-STRING
                                     PARM-STRLEN
                                     PARM-STRPOS
                                     PARM-PATTERN
                                     PARM-PATLEN
                                     PARM-TRANS
                                     PARM-TRIM
                                     PARM-WILD
                                     PARM-RESULT.

The PARM-RESULT will be zero if pattern not found, otherwise it will be the
start position of the first occurance of pattern found within string.

See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?lang=en
search for QCLSCAN in upper-left "Seach" for details from IBM.

Hope this helps...:-)