~~~Is this feature still used on the AS400.

Yes but if you use native AS/400 mode the statements need to be converted to
native format.
Very few things don't convert over, and it is usually easier to simplify
after you get the hang of it.

~~~     we have statement like ?L'4,9'?='      '  GOTO NODISP.
~~~This will check data
This would be changed from 36 to native 400 "something" like this.
The data area is local to the users JOB, if he signs off, it is destroyed.
Historically, I have seen mixed mode programs and sghetti code scenarios
were sometimes a user has an invalid  data area causing your changeover or
testing to be flawed.
In other words, if the left hand does not talk to the right hand, and you
re-use data area's your going to get trouble calls.
I would convert from data area where possible.
There was a time for it.

I am going from memory so this is not exactly right.
After conversion, Online program:
1) displays upon data area
or
2) CL command uses CHGDTAARA  DTAARA(*LDA (4 9)) VALUE(' ')

NEXT:

1) COBOL program accepts from data area
or
2) CL command in a CL Program uses

RTVDTAARA  DTAARA(*LDA (4 9)) RTNVAR(&MYVAR)
IF &MYVAR *EQ 'BATCH1'
run batch report
end if

~~~The conversion doesn't seem go be going well.

Don't overlook tools to help do the job.
I did not have any really to speak of (my conversions were as required, not
a big project), but I am fairly sure there are some good tools people have
developed for exactly what your doing.

Mark Villa in Charleston SC