cobol400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   4. RE: Problem with subfiles (Jon Paris)
>
> >>  We are trying to modify subfile programs so that they could be run
>interactively as well as in batch mode.
>
>Other than through a redesign of the application, the only way I know to do
>this is through the use of the virtual terminal APIs.  I haven't used them
>from COBOL so I have no examples, but they should work.

It's possible that the virtual terminal APIs would be used, though I don't see
that that would actually be required. Most certainly there _MUST_ be a device
description that can be used and it must be ACQUIREd in COBOL -- the COBOL
reference section on ACQUIRE points you to the requirements for acquiring
devices.

Not having done this directly in COBOL, I'm not sure how many ways it can be
accomplished. I've done it CL often enough; there, once requirements are met
for acquiring, it only needs an OVRDSPF DEV(&dev) before any SNDF or SNDRCVF.
This could possibly be done in a wrapper CLP or a CLLE module. It might not
require any changes to the COBOL at all as long as there are no required
keyboard actions such as pressing <Enter> to respond to the subfile display. If
keyboarding is required, then virtual terminal APIs may be needed.

Tom Liotta

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South