We moved off a mainframe to the 400 7 years ago --- and at that time:
      1.)   There were 2 main operating systems -- MVS and VSE (we had VSE
and I used to work in MVS shops).   2.)   There was no native DDS --- VSAM
is the native database handling - which is more basic than DDS -
                  you don't define individual fields - you define the
record as being x long, keys x long starting
                  in position y.  At that time, all keys needed to be
contiguous in the record.  Usually, if you wanted
                  'heavy' DB - you bought another database - IMS from IBM
or Oracle, IDMS, etc from other                       vendors.
      3.)   CL is JCL --- and it is different --- even between MVS and VSE
      4.)   CICS is VASTLY different and some things are better than OS400
screen handling!
      5.)   DTAARAs - in an online program (CICS) - you have temp storage
and other area which get passed
                  between calling programs ---
      6.)   A mainframe can't run OS400 --- they had a product called VM
which allowed multiple instances
            of VSE / MVS on the same machine - but not OS400 (kind of like
LPAR today)

Things obviously have changed some in the years since I was current on the
OS.

Dale Nieswiadomy

Livingston County Information & Technology Services
(585) 243-7191

dnieswiadomy@co.livingston.ny.us

             geir.kildal@entra
             group.com
             cobol400-l-bounce         cobol400-l@midrange.com
             s@midrange.com                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/07/2003 03:03          Moving an AS/400(i-series)
             AM                        application to mainframe?

             Please respond to
             COBOL Programming
                  on the
               iSeries/AS400
             <cobol400-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Hello, all.

I must admit, I don't know very much about IBM mainframes(3090), so I'm
asking if there are ways to make an OS/400-application running on an IBM
mainframe.  What about DDS, CL(OCL?), screenhandling(CICS?), DTAARA's etc,
etc.  Can a mainfame run OS/400?  Does ILE exist?

If there is written anything about this somewhere, I'd like to know.

Mvh.

Geir