  • Subject: Re: COBOL and RPG was Welcome new members
  • From: Howard Weatherly <hweatherly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:07:27 -0500

Ok, you can have the last word except for....<big grin> the prototyping you
mention
only is a restriction because IBM says it is not permitted. The proof can be
defined
in operating systems that are extensible such as MPE or MCP, each allow binding
code
to the operating system which translates to additional function in each native
language. Case in point, Address everyone spells it differently. At one place I
worked we bound a DC Algol (Yes I am that old!) subroutine to correct spelling
into
MCP, part of the function was to verify the input and output parms (I thought
this
part to be useless since each was 100 in 46 formated out). Any COBOL program
(then
68) had access to this using  native COBOL structures eg... Compute
FNAME(INPFIELD,OUTFIELD) FNAME being the bound code. Ok so its not a call, it
looketh like a function nevertheless we are only limited by what the vendor
allows,
not by the language itself. So today we get APIs.

Oh and yes, the declaratives work just fine, like anything it takes time to
learn.

As far as the corr dups, I could have misread what you said but it appeared to
be
that you could not have duplicated names. Since you explained that you do not
want
more than one name for any data element, Im sure I misread it.

Jon.Paris@halinfo.it wrote:

> [...]
> the RPG cycle and it is not taught in most of the schools these days. An RPG
> program written with the same degree of skill as a COBOL one should be every
>bit
> as easy to understand<<<
>
> Jon.Paris@halinfo.it wrote:
>
> > For the most part I agree that there are still a number of features that are
> > present in COBOL that RPG lacks.  As to your individual comments:
> >
> > - Indented code
> >
> > This is supported to a limited degree in D specs and C specs.  There will
> likely
> > be full support in C specs in the next RPG release.
> >
> > - long field names (and be able to use them in calcs)
> >
> > You mean 2056 characters isn't enough <grin>.  In practice I find the
>current
> > (practical) limit of 14 to be more than adequate.  If I recall correctly the
> > COBOL maximum is 30 but I never used them all. By contrast RPG supports 30
> digit
> > numerics while COBOL's default behavior is still 18. Now that _is_ a
> limitation
> > that I have hit.
> >
> > - record handling
> >
> > Not clear what you mean by this. By using RPGIV's externally described DS
> > support together with the Prefix keyword I can handle things at the record
> > level.
> >
> > - error trapping in free-format calcs (like EVAL x=y * z ON ERROR do
>something
> > else)
> >
> > This has been "announced" by IBM in the form of the MONITOR group, which in
> many
> > ways is superior to COBOL's On error (which doesn't handle all errors by the
> > way). They are considering the possibility of allowing this to be more
> granular
> > (a la COBOL) but MONITOR is probably better since in general I don't care
>if a
> > single statement "blows" I want to know if anything goes wrong in a
>logically
> > related group of statements.
> >
> > - data replication: move CORR to replicate data to fields of same name in
> other
> > records
> >
> > There has never been a need for this in absolute terms since you cannot have
> two
> > fields of the same name in different structures. I would love to see them
>do a
> > similar thing though where the field prefix governed which fields were
>alike.
> >
> > - (and the converse: unlike RPG, dont replicate the data if the programmer
> > doesnt want to!)
> >
> > You can already handle this with Prefix at the file level.
> >
> > The one biggie that COBOL is missing for me is prototyping of program calls
> and
> > the ability to define subprocedures. These have made a huge difference in my

+---