And just to be a bit more precise, the __attribute__ ((weak)) syntax simply doesn't compile with the C compiler, even though it's specifically stated to do so in the manual.

    5       |void __attribute__ ((weak)) foo()
*=SEVERE==========> a - CZM0275  Unexpected text '(' encountered.
*=SEVERE==========> b - CZM0276  Syntax error: possible missing '{'?

So I'm really getting tied up by the behavioral differences among the various compilation tools.  I'll do what I can to package it all up and send it to IBM.