Thanx to all for the help. I got an example running now. Works well. But I think I'll write some wrapper service program to make it a little easier to use this lib.

Mihael

-----Original Message-----
From: c400-l-bounces+mihael.schmidt=rossmann.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:c400-l-bounces+mihael.schmidt=rossmann.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:23 AM
To: c400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [C400-L] inline function

On 2011/2/1 12:08 PM, Aaron Albertson wrote:

... here's something similar you can
do in RPG (formatting is off, but you get the idea):

D container_t ds qualified template
D i 10i 0
D j 10i 0
D container ds likeds(container_t)
D offsets ds likeds(container_t)
D pNode s *
D pContainer s *
/free
pNode = %addr(container.j);
pContainer = pNode - (%addr(offsets.j) - %addr(offsets));

Earlier today, I hadn't looked carefully enough for the README that
Mihael pointed to. I was puzzled over how such a macro would be used,
since the names of the structure and the structure member would have to
be known at compile time.

Here's the sample function from the README:
int my_cmp(const struct avltree_node *a,
const struct avltree_node *b)
{
struct my_struct *p = avltree_container_of(a, my_struct, node);
struct my_struct *q = avltree_container_of(b, my_struct, node);

return p->key - q->key;
}

Here's an equivalent function in RPG (unformatted and untested). I
marked the extra code needed to handle the C macro with ***, and the
code that replaces the macro with "mac".

P my_cmp b
D my_cmp pi
D a * value
D b * value

D p ds likeds(my_struct_t)
D based(p_ptr)
D q ds likeds(my_struct_t)
D based(q_ptr)

*** D offsets ds likeds(my_struct_t)
*** D nodeOffset s 10i 0
/free
*** nodeOffset = %addr(offsets.node) - %addr(offsets);
mac p_ptr = a - nodeOffset;
mac q_ptr = b - nodeOffset;

return p.key - q.key;
/end-free