That was a problem solved thanks to you, but now i have another question.
Obviously my application is more sophisticated than the example i shown. Doing some debug in my application i found something that is very rare, it could be me or some memory compile option in the AS/400. Let me put some debug output.

This line is a print after i made a "new" assignment, it returns this pointer value
[06-10-2010 15:02:10.818360]ServerTransaction() client 80000000 0 f1b4f178 5625bca0

Then after 10 seconds i "delete" the memory for the assignment.
[06-10-2010 15:02:20.850216]ServerTransaction() clientStateArray[i] 80000000 0 f1b4f178 5625bca0

In another thread, a do again a "new" assignment giving me this the same address as before
[06-10-2010 15:02:20.921320]ServerTransaction() client 80000000 0 f1b4f178 5625bca0

Then the problems come when i try to "delete" the assingment after 10 seconds again, i get a MCH6902, then the message C2M1212. The last message say "Reason code X'10000000'" and the address shown is X'8000000000000000F1B4F1785625BCA0', the same i try to delete
[06-10-2010 15:02:30.942872]ServerTransaction() clientStateArray[i] 80000000 0 f1b4f178 5625bca0

My question is, could it be affecting in someway that the address is deleted and then return by new in less than 71 milliseconds? So the memory manager still put that address as delete or not assigned

again, thanks for the help

To: c400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: albertaa@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:50:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [C400-L] pthreads and c++ destructor

Hi Victor,

You're violating one of the fundamental concepts of threaded
programming here. Any time you modify static data within a thread and that
data could be accessed from another thread you will need to use some sort
of locking routine to guarantee that only one of the threads has access to
the static data at any given time.

For now, lets ignore the 1/2 second sleep. At the end of the loop
you create a thread which calls the ReadArray function. Then at the
beginning of the loop you call the ModifyArray function. It is likely that
ReadArray is still running in it's thread, and you could end up modifying
the array while you are trying to read it (thus the bogus values).

Even the 1/2 second sleep is no guarantee. If the system is busy it
is possible that the ModifyArray thread may not have finished by the time
the ReadArray function runs.

If you use locking (I think the pthread lock function is something
like pthread_mutex_lock) you should be able to avoid these problems and
avoid the use of the sleep routine altogether. Also keep in mind that it's
possible that you'll have several (more than two) threads running at once,
so if you care about the order of reads and writes you'll need to add a
little more logic to your functions to enforce ordering.

Thanks,

Aaron Albertson

c400-l-bounces+albertaa=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/05/2010
09:04:51 AM: