Bruce:
Thanks ... this is a good start point.

I have few more questions so I hope someone can provide me with more
information.

I saw that QTACTLDV is supported only on tape devices. It seams that this
way I will be able to control any standard SCSI device (by using CDBs)
even if there are no OS400 drivers provided for it - is this true?
I will try to make an 'INQUIRY' prototype. Hopefully I will not destroy
anything ;)

What about tape changers - what you mean with 'socket interface' - are you
talking about network control (TCP/IP)?
Is there any other way to control tape changers . I saw that some IBM
libraries are supported by IBM Tivoli on OS400. Does anyone know how that
works?

If above assumptions are correct, it is possible to control such
libraries. However there is still a question of SCSI discovering. I guess
there is a way to get a list of all attached SCSI devices (any hint? :) ).
Later QTARDCAP() can be used to see if the current SCSI device a
.supported. tape device (capable of accepting QTACTLDV() control calls).

BTW: Is there any plan when the QTACTLDV() will be extended to support
additional SCSI devices?

Thanks and best regards,
Dezo

PS: Is there any additional mailing list or other resource where I can get
more info on such topics? Heh . beside SCSI I have lot of questions
related to APR,. ;)