From: Barbara Morris [mailto:bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 7:12 PM
To: C400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [C400-L] Re: Trap for errors

Bobby.Hicks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am new to C, and I'm hoping that someone can help me.  How can I
check
> for errors during procedure/program flow.  Basically I have a
conversion
> routine to convert a binary field to either a packed or zoned field.
> want to ensure that an overflow problem or something similar does not
give
> a hard error, instead I want to return an error code to the calling
> program.  Thanks for any help  you can provide me.
>
> Bobby.

Bobby, C's standard exception handling is through "signals", using
functions setjmp, signal and longjmp.

ILE C also has #pragma exception_handler.

You could also use ILE Condition Handlers - see functions CEEHDLR and
CEEHDLU.

I personally find the #pragma exception_handler to be the easiest to
use, but if you want to learn something that's standard for C, learn
about signals.