----- Original Message -----
From: <sublime78ska@attbi.com>
To: <c400-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 3:03 PM
Subject: RE: [C400-L] packed data

> Simon,
>
> > Since I am always guilty of telling people to RTFM I
> should at least be
> > able to find the appropriate FM, shouldn't I?  :-)
> >
> > The manual you want is the SQL Programming with Host
> Languages manual.
> > Chapter 1 describes the environment and syntax.
> Appendix D has example
> > programs.  This manual is hidden in the Disinformation
> Centre under the
> > Database and File Systems section.  Follow the Books
> (HTML and PDF format)
> > link.
>
> Thanks very much.  This is what I need.
>
> Phil

I've been carefully reading this discussion, and cannot withstanding adding
my comment.
I cannot agree, that C is not appropriate for this kind of programming.
I cannot agree with Simon saying that you are only comfortable with C if it
is your first language.
I started programming in 1977, when there was almost no C (at least in
USSR), so I did a lot with FORTRAN and PL/I.
I feel fine programming C, never missing these stupid data types like fixed
char and a like, when you wait, that compiler does something behalf of you.
Personally I write "classical" AS/400 applications - screens, databases and
alike on C for the last 3 years - add-ons to our banking system.
What is really missing is good books. I really understand all these problems
like fixed char without zero termination read from PF, mess with packeed
decimals and so on.
But C is not guilty, even ILE-C/400 is not guilty.
I could never understand why C/400 got this "orphan" status on AS/400, when
it is (OK, ++) the OS/400 language.
My friends, who found 3 days to get basic RPG skills tell me, that is very
easy, but why the .... I should spend time and add one more stupid pigeon
language to these, I used in my life.
There is absolutely no problem accessing data bases via "_R" functions.
We did some experiments with embedded SQL, but refused of it. I think, that
it is better to plan and do what you want to do, than to rely on some
mystical SQL optimizer.
This is, by the way, basic C ideology - rely on yourself, no safety net.
If you like this approach, use it. If not - it is not your language....

Regards,

Jevgeni Astanovski.
Sampo Bank
Tallinn, Estonia.