<vendor>

Hi Bonnie ....

Sometimes the practical approach is to use multiple tools together ... you
know, simultaneously use the oven, stove top and microwave to cook
Thanksgiving dinner.

The Lickety-Split spreadsheet transport tool is definitely not a work-flow
product. But, you can design a specific script for each department for only
those fields in the item master which should be maintained by that
department. So, Engineering has a spreadsheet for only those fields that
they should manage and the Lickety-Split script that runs that particular
engineering-pertinent spreadsheet is password controlled to only work for
Mr./Ms. Engineer Jones. Ditto for Cost Accounting, etc.

You can even script Lickety-Split to perform an automatic edit check of
every existing record in a master file. That's an A+ internal control
application.

Now, if you want to observe/verify completion of the work on a new item for
all contributing departments, you could employ Stitch-in-Time software.
http://www.unbeatenpath.com/software/sit/Stitch-in-Time.pdf A report from
Stitch could be designed to report changes for fields that fall within the
corners each department's authority for a specific item(s).

Stitch reports could also be designed to report if a field change is somehow
squeezed into the master file by a user who is not defined within Stitch to
have authority to change that field. It's an after-the-fact control but
auditors vote for that as much better than never finding out that a
production planner accidently changed a cost field. That's a more economical
approach than re-writing the item master file maintenance program to address
only a sub-set of panel(s) for each involved department. Stitch sees every
change, including DBUs and Queries, etc.

God bless,
Milt
(+USA) 262-681-3151
mhabeck@xxxxxxxxxx