From: BPCS-L [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Elam, Jeff
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:00 AM
To: bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BPCS-L] Work Center/Operations issue BPCS 4.05CD

Good Morning,

We have a work center in a location that up until a couple of weeks ago was an outside process. The Operation in the routing was setup with a basis code "C". The cost of the operation for the standard batch size was entered in the Machine hours (Standard BPCS Outside processing)

A couple of weeks ago the vendor turned control of this particular line over to my company. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what changes to make to the operation/ work center so the system will populate the correct hours for the operations on the shop order and calculate the percentage at standard etc. for the labor posting.

For all internal work centers the loading code is 4 (labor hours)

All of our internal operations are setup with a Basis code of H (Hours per standard batch size). Our standards are based on a batch size of 1,000 pieces. Unfortunately, For this former outside operation this setup does not apply.

We typically run items through this process in 55 gallon drums. The process takes 1 hour to perform for 1 piece in the drum or a full drum.

I thought about changing the standard batch and lot size to the quantity that would fit in the drum however that poses a problem as well. If 500 pieces of a particular part fit in the drum I would set the batch size to 500. Unfortunately if we put out a shop order for 750 pieces BPCS would tell me it takes 1.5 hours for this operation when in fact it takes 2 hours (1 hour per drum). I can't guarantee that items will always be ordered in multiples of the Lot Quantities.

I can't find the correct combination of settings either at the Work center (loading codes) or routing levels (basis codes) to set this operation up correctly for labor posting etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

Confidentiality Requirement: This communication, including any attachment(s), may contain confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments.