Part of me thinks it should be Infor's responsibility to ensure that the
patch works on 7.1 and even 7.2. And that it should have been tested and
approved before either of those releases even went GA (General
Availability) since IBM has an early program for vendors.
And the other part of me thinks that just how many releases back are we
expecting Infor to support? V4.0.05 is extremely ancient and any support
you get for that (especially since you've not been on maintenance and are
now financially suffering the consequences of that), should be grateful
for.

I would read the Memo To Users for both 7.1 and 7.2. See if there is any
show stoppers in there that should affect those programs. IMO, if they
can support 6.1 that was the biggest hurdle. Going from V5R4 to 6.1 was
tough for them.
7.2 Memo to Users
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf
7.1 Memo to Users
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf

An important thing to keep in mind is that support for 6.1 dies in under a
year.
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/suptschedule.html
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS914-181
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycleapp/PLCDetail.wss?synkey=D180585A50888J91-M430420P53717Y49-J123169T87603G51