In earlier versions of BPCS,

If you need 261 units, and not have BPCS schedule 270 to be made, then you
can define 261 within the item planning where with MRP you can schedule
based on discrete 270 needed, or in quantities like 261 which are relevant
to production realities. We do this for raw material ordering, where some
quantity is a price break.

You can put a negative number in the move time, to allow for overlap.

You can have additional description and-or notes, to describe what happens
between data collection operations
In our routings, we often have as the last step of non-reporting line, where
in the factory this work is to be moved to, when it is finished. We also
have modified our shop paperwork to aid other flow ... what end customer is
this for, identify parts list needed to do this step, information to help
quality inspectors

You can duplicate define a cluster of machines as being a fake machine which
is really the five.
You can refrain from routing to specific machines, and instead route to work
centers, where at run time, the factory uses whatever machines they please.

You have to be careful with reporting operations out of sequence, depending
on how items are coded, because BPCS can sometimes compute what must have
been the missing operations. We do not want that to happen. We only want
it to record precisely what we reported, and we do sometimes have labor
tickets keyed in, in a sequence other than how the work was sometimes done,
such as when we are tracking repairs.

When people report quantity made greater than quantity needed for an
operation, BPCS automatically says that operation is complete. This can be
a nuisance when reporting for scrap.
When people make an error reporting some operation as complete, because THEY
did their work, unaware of need for other people to do their share, BPCS
won't actually purge an order until all inventory transactions needed are
done. Sometimes we decide enough is enough. The order was for 10,000. We
made 9.990. It is not worth setup to get the extra 10, we can let that be
carried over to next production run. To get that to close out properly, we
(1) downsize the quantity needed to make for the order (2) post a zero time
labor ticket on first operation, then BPCS labor processing goes thru each
operation in sequence, updating that if we made at least the new quantity,
that operation is now closed (3) we check of any operation is still open.

-
Al Mac