Nope, you don't know me. I was just curious. Thanks for the great post
on the history of AS/SET. Since all these things happened before my time
on this system its interesting to learn about all the ups and downs of its
history.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

rhhwfh@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/08/2011 06:29 PM
Please respond to
BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [BPCS-L] AS/SET History

Yes I am. Do I know you?

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Bryce Martin <BMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And you would or would not be the same Robert Hunter referring to himself

in the third person?

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Robert Hunter <rhhwfh@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/08/2011 05:13 AM
Please respond to
BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [BPCS-L] AS/SET History

For you BPCS
history buffs, AS/SET was developed in 1989 and released in Jan. 1990 by
SSA
under Roger Covey, the founder and then CEO of SSA. Roger had tried to
buy
Synon
and one other company out of Australia that had a CASE tool at the time,
but to
no avail.
develop AS/SET, Roger approached Robert Hunter, the former owner of
Outlook
Software, a company that SSA had bought in 1987 that was the author of
BIR
(BPCS Information Retrieval), and BBM (BPCS Business Modeling). Hunter,
as
result of the acquisition, was at that time a product manager at SSA.
After
AS/SET was released, Hunter and the 6 programmers he assembled to write
AS/SET
became the basis for the CASE laboratory, a division of SSA that became
their
R& D facility – in Westmont, IL, offsite
from SSA’s corporate headquarters in downtown Chicago. The CASE lab
eventually
employed almost 100 people but was disbanded when Covey left SSA around
1992-93.
Virtually no work was done on AS/SET after this, and SSA subsequently
went
bankrupt after a succession of failed CEOs.