We do not automate it. We do it manually.

There are several scenarios which cause an item to become another item.

I do not know all of them. Many are rather complex to explain.

The cost implications vary with the nature of the scenario, and yes, we use
reason codes with General Ledger rules which feed those reason codes to show
up for the auditors, so we can run totals of bottom line impact by scenario.

BPCS cost structure is different if part is purchased or manufactured.
There are some parts we can make or purchase. The difference in cost
depends on volume we need. There is also an issue with vendors not meeting
our tight lead times, where manufacturing a few more can be cheaper than
freight expediting. We frequently both purchase and manufacture.
To avoid major hassles constantly messing with BPCS cost, routings, BOM etc.
we have two part #s for this switcheroo, so we can transfer between the
purchased or manufactured reality, with a minimum of clerical hassle.

Sometimes a customer returns a part for repair, or rework into a different
revision. For example, we have been shipping them model G for years, then
they switched to model H which is what we now make. At some point they find
they have some excess volume of model G which they want reworked into model
H. So we receive into inventory that quantity of model G which has the same
item # as model H. BPCS does not take kindly to inventory with same item #
but actually somewhat different construction, so we quickly create a new
item # copied off the current with a letter attached to the end.

Letter R for repair rework involved - this part is not yet identical to the
part it will become.

We have a similar system for the development of new parts and new methods of
construction. Same base item, a letter appended for methodology. When
ready to do shipment to customer, of part which has passed inspection, we
change part # from the item #, with the method code appended, to the item #
on order for the customer.

We use machines which feed in reels of wire at extreme high speed. If the
wire is wound clockwise or counter clockwise on a spool, it makes a
difference mounting the spools on machines. We have same identical wire,
with 2 part #s, 1 for clockwise, 1 for counter clockwise. Multiple machines
can simultaneously be using the same wire. For reasons of factory
efficiency we sometimes need to switch inventory between the clockwise and
counter clockwise. There is a separate machine to take care of that. When
we do so, we switch their part #s between the two realities.

We manufacture wiring harnesses to customer specifications, where customer
drawing will have wires in their desired structure numbered 1 to 1,000 or
whatever. Engineers enter item #s consisting of strings of characters.

e.g. ABCDEFG-D7-1001 where ABCDEFG is the customer base part-id, D7 is some
sub-assembly, and 1001 is wire lead 1001 in that sub-assembly. Certain
fields in that item, uniquely describe its chemical composition, wire gauge,
color striping, length etc. lots of details. Then we run lists of what
results have identical characteristics, and replace with what we call COMMON
wire characteristics - one part #, outside the ABCDEFG-whatever item #
system, where same identical "red wire of certain length and tin=copper
alloy, and certain electrical connectors" is found multiple places in the
customer design, so we can manufacture needs and control inventory more
efficiently. In theory all this completed before production, but lead times
getting shorter. Sometimes production started, before the identical parts
consolidated into a single item #.

-
Al Mac