There is a potential flaw in this legal argument.

When our company was running on MAPICS, prior to converting to BPCS, I was
doing modifications where code had been copied from multiple different
companies source code, so the legal argument that ONE of those companies
owns the code when the contract expires, is not valid. The different
companies (whose source was used) might not have a legal right to see each
other's code. Only customers, with contracts with rights to use their
source code, has that legal right, so long as the contract is in place.

One day my boss informs me that the company has decided that the value, we
are getting from one of those sources, has been judged to be not worth the
annual fees, so we are terminating the contract, and I need to remove from
our system, all of their code. That included all programs which were using
derivative code from that source.

It is a real good job that all those programs had a copyright statement in
front for each and every places from which I had derived source code, so I
could scan for those instances. If a company has had programmers who were
sloppy about such things, it might not be possible to locate all such
derivative code instances.

Another wrinkle is whether the contract permits access to their files (with
our data) by means other than their software, such as us using query/400,
other IBM tools, purchased add-ons from outfits other than Infor.