Thank you AL! I read most of your responses, and save many of them for
further reference!

Don C.

-----Original Message-----
From: bpcs-l-bounces+dcavaiani=amerequip.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+dcavaiani=amerequip.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Al
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:55 PM
To: 'BPCS ERP System'
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] 405CD - Billing SNAFU

Sorry I was slow to see this thread ... we are in midst of EOWx2 EOM EOQ
EOY with physical inventory, and changing costs for the year. Some
stuff is not in balance. This gets distracting.

If you try to fix period end dates after that date has passed, you are
inviting chaos for General Ledger thanks to anything posted in a period
before you change the period dates.

For example, you shut down Dec-22 for the holidays, where anything after
that is a new fiscal period, then someone just has to post something for
Dec-27 which goes into a new fiscal period, then decision is made to fix
it, into same fiscal period as Dec-22, after it is in the wrong fiscal
period.
Safe way to handle that is via a series of GL adjustments. But someone
wants to cover it up from the auditors, so the mess is made worse.

Another variation is the people who do end fiscal were told they could
do so over Christmas weekend, and you get end fiscal completed, then
someone decides some transaction absolutely has to go into December
fiscal. This can be done by back dating the transaction into the fiscal
period which ended before Christmas, and rerunning end fiscal reports
which now have the wrong totals, but people forget how to do that, and
do not use back dating.

BBH never has any records in 405 CD
BBH is used in other versions of BPCS but not 405 CD BBL holds records
from shipping, corresponding to the B transaction in ITH, for items
shipped but not yet billed.

If the billing process runs correctly, BBL is used first to generate the
printable invoices, then to add records to invoice files SIH SIL
receivables RAR, input for GL, update order fulfillment, etc. There's
accounting reports, and at the end of the process BBL gets cleared of
what got billed.

Some of this may be sensitive to work station side, where if someone
starts the process on one work station address, they need to go all the
way on the same side, plus the work stations have to have legal
identities for BPCS.

There's some data area which is named using the first 6-8 characters of
the work station-id with some letters slapped in front for whatever
series of steps going on for billing. This is a work area which clears
itself when the process gets to a successful conclusion. If there's
stuff still in there from a prior crash, trying to run the process again
from scratch can lead to duplicated activity ... the activity in the
work area, and what gets added to it again.

Another way to screw up the process is when there are steps 1 2 3 4 etc.
to send some early steps to JOBQ, then without waiting until they get
done, run a later step interactively.

We recently had a screwup where after generating a printed invoice, that
invoice # missing from invoice file, A/R, G/L, accounting reports. My
speculation is that while the file update step running, someone signed
onto the order for that invoice, in violation of our rule that everyone
else stay off BPCS updates while Billing and daily post to GL running.
-
Al Mac