Dear Mike,

The 2-step cycle count process works like this (in vanilla BPCS .... and be careful about that because many companies have modified this part of BPCS). You print off the variance reports and then you must enter any discovered adjustments in INV500. Whereas with 1-step cycle counting, the cycle count is entered in INV515 and that updates the inventory balance if need be.

You've probably reviewed the help text .... but just in case you have not, here it is:
Two-Step Cycle Counting:

If you use two-step cycle counting, the program operates

the same except for two important differences. First, the

panel does NOT display any transactions that have been

posted for the item since it was selected for cycle

counting. It is up to you to consider any such activity.

Second, the program does NOT update the inventory book

values with the cycle count results. Again, that must be

done manually.

With two-step cycle counting, the INV515

program builds or adds to the ICY file used for printing

the book/actual variance reports. The person responsible

for controlling inventory must print and examine the

reports, take into account any recent inventory

transactions (since item selection), and decide which

inventory values to post with the cycle count data.

Then, the Inventory Transaction program (INV500) must be

run to automatically adjust the inventory with a

transaction type specially defined for cycle counting.

Again, if you are posting to closed periods, BPCS updates

MTD and YTD history fields as described for step 1.

Warm regards,

Milt Habeck

Unbeaten Path

www.unpath.com