You might look at FORECASTING with MRP100.
Enter what is needed, run MRP net change, then release needed shop orders.

You might consider entering customer orders on a DUMMY customer
for items whose BOM calls for the needed parts.
Use a dummy customer, so the shipping department does not accientally ship parts callef dor by the customer order "forecast"

Remember that if you kill the MRP100 or dummy customer order requirement, MRP will also tell you to kill the shop orders. You need a system such that next time you run MRP regen, it does not wipe out your hard work, so there needs to be an independent demand using safety stock, MRP100, or dummy customer orders calling for this production.

V405CD environment.

Our production control department is looking for a way to upload a large
number of shop order creation data at one time. They will be doing this
likely on a daily basis.

My idea is to load the information: part number and quantity, into one
of the MRP files and then have MRP do the creation logic. My questions
are this:

1) Is there a better way to do it other than into MRP?
2) Which file would I upload to? I'm thinking KMR, but not sure of the
flag setting. I'm pretty sure that a flag value of "F" means that it is
a forecast record.

Bill