Any time you get an error message, you can place cursor on the message, then do F1. F1 is the universal help key for both the Operating System, and most applications that run on it, such as BPCS.

Frequently there is additional information associated with an error message.
The message is an extreme summary that fits on one line.
What you get with F1 help can be a more thorough explanation of any condition.

I am not familiar with non-balancing items, but in my version of BPCS we have non-inventory items. These are items like tooling, that might be stuck in a machine to make something a certain way. They are not "used up" in production. For someone to assign one of those items to be shipped to a customer would be an error.

If you were to look at our BOM, you would see item class EC for Engineering Change. This is a phantom item, it does not exist in reality, which is used to track information about version changes. Our product structure includes several such "items" there for purposes of visibility of information about the parent item. They are coded in such a way that the various order programs know to ignore them. For someone to try to process one of these "items" the same way as a real item, would be an error on that person's part, someone who has failed to be properly trained in how we code our stuff.

If the item in the order really should be shipped to the customer, then maybe it is wrongfully coded as a non-balancing item. Sometimes human errors occur when new items are entered into the system.

You should have a file on your system called BPCSDOC with source members that are manuals for the different applications. One, prefixed by SSARUN & some #, explains all the geeky stuff about items and inventory. This file can be accessed from vanilla menu DOC, if security has been setup properly, of through software development.

WRKMBRPDM specify file BPCSDOC in library *LIBL and position to SSARUN.
Scroll until you find the BPCS manual you are interested in.
Before trying to print one of these (option six) take a look at its size (option eight). The size is a count of # of lines ... some of these are huge.

Al Macintyre

Hi everyone:

We receive a warning message that says: "Line 002: Non-balancing item cannot be ordered from Warehouse Type =5."

We've tried looking in ORD700D2 for what causes this, but are having trouble locating the cause. This occurs every now-and-then and requires the user to <Enter> through each line (even if there are hundreds), in order to continue.

Does anyone know what is usually meant by "non-balancing item"? We know what our Warehouse Type 5 is, but are not quite sure what a non-balancing item is.

Any help in the right direction in solving this is greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!
--Aaron