From: bpcs-l-bounces+lwl=ix.netcom.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+lwl=ix.netcom.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 6:20 PM
To: BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Unsafety $ Stock

Thanks for reminding me.

OTTO can probably help when the problem is safety stock for children
orphaned by engineering changes. A month or so ago I pointed out that
my "unused" report, showing inventory on hand with no usages in all of 2007,

probably did not include a bunch of items that will have no usages in all of

2008, because the process of items going into orphan status (no where used)
is continuous with engineeering changes.

However, I already have query/400 to list orphan items with non-zero on-hand

or safety stock. We seem to have millions of query/400 exception reports,
that fall into disuse.

OTTO probably can not help when the problem is bogus customer orders for
customer business which has evaporated. For example, a customer tells us
estimated annual usage of say 1,000 ... so we have a customer order for
1,000 due Dec 31. They do a real order for 50 due next month. We enter
that order and subtract 50 from the Dec 31 order. Come November there will
be a surge of MRP generated bogus other orders for the Dec-31 orders that
customer service has not been paying attention to.

The reason for the bogus orders is to help people looking at MRP300 and
other screens to see the total requirements for some item, but those
requirements can be no good if there are no real orders any more.

lwl wrote
One approach is to look at supply versus demand into the future. If
supply
(inventory + shop orders) exceeds sales order demand + forecasted
demand to a given horizon (6, 9 12, 15 months) then the item
warrants further investigation. Technically the trick is to drive
top level demand down to the lowest purchased component and
identifying those components with no demand.

Systems Plus's OTTO works this way.

Roy Luce
Systems Plus - Midwest

Direct: 847-540-9635