Peter

There are many versions of BPCS. Perhaps if you later state what version of BPCS this is for, there can be better guidance, since some things are different by version.

I predict you could have problems interlinking your open records.
BPCS ties open records to past orders using a complicated system of sequence #s that need to be in sync across all the files involved, such that if there is a break in these #s, some BPCS programs do not function correctly.

In 1998 I was involved in a conversion from BPCS on S/36 to on AS/400 where we had to abandon the conversion software supplied by SSA because it did not support the convergence of different data bases into a consolidated one. We ended up using a combination of packages, one of them being File Track which supported a process I call Jigsaw Puzzle/400 where data from different files need to be combined and split, because of how the data in various files structured differently in the two versions.

In that conversion we copied master files, and dropped history.

BPCS is great at adding records to files, but has poor support for getting rid of archives, which is why there are several archiving 3rd party packages out there for BPCS. We used our 1998 conversion to also take the opportunity to get rid of masses of records we no longer needed.

10 years before that, I was involved in a conversion from MAPICS to BPCS in which at the same time the company was restructuring how the BOM to be organized in terms of flat structure or deep structure, so most of the engineering had to be rekeyed manually. We did use the inventory data in MAPICS to generate B[CS inventory tags to simulate what would have happened in BPCS had we done an actual physical inventory, then several months later we did do a physical for selected warehouses.

BPCS has several programs to reorganize and reset the linkages between different files, which need to be run when no one else is doing anything in BPCS, not even signed on to a BPCS menu, and some of them should only be rerun at a particular point in end fiscal check list. Thanks to these programs on the reorganization menu SYS/23, there are a lot of details you not have to worry about when getting your BPCS files setup.

Thus you might educate yourself as to what all these different reorganization programs do, since it may well turn out to be logical to incorporate some of them in your conversion plans. BOM900 is only one of several in this collection. It is important in what sequence they be run.

Hello all,

We are planning conversions from 2 other ERP packages (Syspro and
AdHoc-Revolution (italian)) into our BPCS Database.

One of the conversion is the BOM (MBM).
The item master (IIM)  contains a field with the lowest level of the item
in a BOM(INSEQ-Last BOM) .
This field is important for MRP/MPS runs.

Does anyone of you have experience with a BOM Conversion and how I can
reset the specific field in the item master.

Other files we are going to convert:
- item master
- vendor master
- customer master