Hello,

At logon there is an array built for the user's authority to things in
BPCS based on their security setting. This happens as the user enters
SYS500D and then this array is used for all subsequent lookups.

The more you use individual user/program authority (versus user/product
authority) the larger those files will be, and generally this translates
into a longer lag time. This array is not required for security officer
as they have access to everything, so we don't bother.

There was a programming bug selecting extra records that caused some
trouble, but has been corrected for a number of years now.

Do you have the below BMR?

BPCS MR #:  52979
 Priority Code:  7000
 Version Reported:  6004
 Platform Reported:  AS400
 Product Area Reported:  SYS500B
 Completed Date:  2001-03-08
 Explode?  Y
 Previous BPCS MR:  52811
 Issue:  Performance slow in SYS500B
"U" User. Same security setup in version 6.002 runs faster than a User
in 6.100. Problem occurs when many specific program authorities are
given to theuser, rather than only product-level authorities.

In later releases, the actual physical file was changed so that a
substring of one of the fields is not required, speeding this up
further. That change is available in BPCS 8.1 base and higher
(documented by BMR 53953).

Another alternative is to get rid of SYS500B altogether, and replace the
array processing security checks with a call to SYS610B each time the
user wants to access a program from the menu. Historical note - the
array processing was added in version 5.0 of BPCS in an attempt to speed
up authorizations by building a single list 'up front' and this would
make subsequent menu choices execute faster. However, later use of ILE
RPG and service programs as well as improvements to SYS610B itself made
use of SYS610B as fast as the array processing without any of the
initial overhead. This change is being done in BPCS 8.2 under BMR 68870.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
Senior System Software Engineer
SSA Global R&D

message: 3
date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:25:53 +0100
from: "Bath, Martin" <martin.bath@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [BPCS-L] RE: BPCS signon

Thanks to Claire and Al for their answers.

Al - The problem I am attempting to circumvent is PC/terminal
independent.
It really is the difference between the security officer signon (sub
second)
and the user signon (10-15 seconds). Upgrading the machine is not an
option
at the moment. This problem is linked to the security checks that BPCS
does
at signon which I believe links all the objects in BPCS to the users
authorisation to use them.

Claire- Already looked at DBMON but no (further) indexes were suggested.
Did
you have any specific indexes in mind ?

I asked the question in case there was a way of bypassing the initial
security checks at signon time whilst still keeping the security checks
for
all menus/options at selection time. Guess not.

Regards

Martin Bath
Global IT Group
Invensys Controls