This weekend that just ended was our
end year, month, with physical inventory done a different way than in prior years
& some of our documentation from last year had managed to get lost

Now I am trying to figure out the significance of some stuff so that perhaps I can add to our overall collection of useful info for people, without major hassles getting there.

One thing I would like to figure out is the significance of various fields of ITH for transaction "O".
I recognize that the population of these ITH fields like dances to different band music for different types of transactions and even variations within same types.

ITH.TQTY is apparently the quantity variance ... how much the on-hand was changed as a result of the tags going into the opening balance.
ITH.THFAMT is apparently is quantity multiplied by the standard cost at time of INV650 ... in other words the $ variance due to the change from the physical inventory.
We are then able to sort on this ... I get the absolute value by squaring what I want to sort on, so that the pluses and minuses are grouped together in context.

Now notice these two lines from one of my queries. (it lines up nice if you change it to Courier or some such proportional font)

Item C Wh Comment Quantity Variance
l Variance $

910730 WP 42 TAG 0026780SSUE 269119.262 1808.48144
915013 MC 42 TAG 0027592 128639.207- 16208.54008-

Notice the characters in the ITH.TCOM comment field AFTER the tag #.
The INV700 series reports that show tag #, such as INV740, do not have this extra stuff at the end of the tag #, so I figure this is an artifact of how INV650 works.
Does this happen at other companies & can anyone illuminate me as to the significance of this stuff?

When I was viewing the "O" tags input inventory history lines, and our subsequent adjustments and corrections, to see what other fields are populated with data that might be a useful addition to our reports, I became intensely curious about what the heck is the meaning of the stuff in fields

ITH.TOQTY "Original Entry Quantity" and
ITH.THQUM ... "MTD Adj" ... naming sounds like Unit of Measure conversion, but the population pattern yes/no does not seem consistent with our unit of measure coding, which could have errors in it.

For most tags, ITH.THQUM is zero, with the next most common reality being the same value as ITH.TQTY, but the content of ITH.TOQTY seems to be all over the map without any consistent content relative to the other fields. At one point, I thought this might be the on-hand that existed before the tags went in, but INV300 F21 disabused me of that notion. The data is not consistent.

However, perhaps ITH.THQUM has either the quantity in the tags or what the on-hand was before the tags got dumped in ... I have not yet done exhaustive check to see if that is true, for any sub-set of the data..

Tag 202 the on-hand was 89, the tag said 89 physical, so
TQTY = zero variance
THQUM = 89
TOQTY = zero
202 had "ST on the end in TCOM

tag 203 the on-hand was zero, the physical found 40
TQTY = 40 added
THQUM = 40
TOQTY = 75
203 did not have anything appended in TCOM

what the heck does the 75 mean?
Well according to INV300 F21 75 was the last quantity we had on-hand 12/13 before shipment of 75 on 12/16
That may be a coincidence, because when I go looking up INV300 on other items with TOQTY population, I am not finding a consistent story

Tag 204 the on-hand was 80, the physical found 80, so
TQTY = zero variance
THQUM = 80
TOQTY = 40
204 did not have anything appended in TCOM

What the heck does the 40 mean?
Oh, I see from INV300 F21 that this was one of the items where people did inventory transactions AFTER the tags got printed, so TOQTY may be related to the cycle count concept that we might want to know what the inventory was before people messed with the physical by overlapping other transactions when in theory we had shut down for physical.

We have a ton of "O" in ITH in which the TCOM comment is "* No Tag"
a handful of them have some value in ITH.TOQTY or ITH.THQUM ... each time I look in the INV300 F21 on these items it seems to me like that quantity relates to how many we made last month, or shipped last month, or how far negative it got last month ... but whatever rule of thumb I come up with what significance is this, it does not pan out when I look at the items with no tag whose ITH.TOQTY or ITH.THQUM is zero ... so far I have not found some explanation that makes any sense whatsoever with the "No Tag" entries..

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac