We are on 405CD on RISC and migrated CISC to RISC on an earlier version of BPCS many years ago ... I have only the vaguest recollections of the process.

SSA used to supply the source code with versions of BPCS prior to version 6, but I think that today they will charge extra money to let you have source code, so be careful with what you have.

My memory is that the software had to be "observable", which either involved recompiling all the programs a certain way on the RISC box, or getting replacement from SSA. In other words, software is written for CISC or RISC or both, and you want to be sure that what you have that is running on a CISC machine, will in fact work on a RISC machine. That was one topic.

We went through a lot of defective tapes from SSA before we got one that loaded correctly.

What would happen was that after we went from CICS to RISC
each time anyone tried to execute some program for the first time since the hardware conversion,
that program went through a conversion

Another topic is that BPCS is licensed to run on a particular AS/400.
If you backup your BPCS on one AS/400 then restore it to another AS/400, it will not run on the new AS/400 because the serial # of that machine is different from the serial # of the earlier AS/400.
You have to get your license changed to be on the new machine.

We went through many months of management arguing with SSA before the price for license upgrade was acceptable, then we went through a lot of defective license keys before we got one that worked.

I have been begging my current management not to sign any hardware upgrade deal until we have the SSA price for moving BPCS nailed down, because the SSA bill could be tje biggest part of the whole package ... it might pay to delay our hardware upgrade more years because of that.

In one conversion we did not use backup tape ... we leased a special connector from IBM in which a box pretended to be a work station and we "piped" our stuff from our old machine over a wire to the new machine which had OS/400 pre-loaded.

Depending on how heavily modified you are, you can buy your AS/400 preloaded with OS/400, BPCS etc..

you wrote:

Dear All,

We are now using BPCS ver 405CD in CISC AS400 model, and want to upgrade
AS400 machine to RISC AS400 model 520 (i5).
To move our system from old CISC AS400 machine to RISC AS400 machine, can I
backup all our BPCS library on old machine and then restore it to new
machine ? Or we must install BPCS 405CD for RISC sistem ?
If we don't have OGS maintenance, how about the licence expense ?

Thank You for your attention and information
Sigit
Jakarta-Indonesia