From: "Alister Wm Macintyre" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: Sales Tax

Some obvious ideas to eliminate suspects:
    * Does the AS/400 have a UPS and is it hooked up properly and working
OK?  The batteries can run out so you end up with a UPS box but no
protection home.
    * Have you done a backup since this outage?  If physical files screwed
up, those files would not have successfully backed up.  You can look at
DSPLOG F4 for the time period of the backup to find out if it was
successful or not.
    * Have you had to do a BPCS restore recently and are all logicals in
same library name as their physicals?  There is a 400 integrity issue in
restores with respect to the alphabetical sequencing of library names and
needing to restore physical before its logicals.
    * DSPDBR lists logicals attached to any physical and what library they
in, and you can look at external description to check DATES someone messed
with the files
    * We had recent post in BPCS_L where some human by mistake created a
file incorrect earlier in library list than the real file which was correct
    * Have you had a change in personnel doing the work?  Human beings had
over-ride just about anything.  Do not rely upon 400 history of user-ids
... we had one dept hire some new person, not tell computer department,
have the new hire use sign on id of someone else in department.  I found
out when I was asked to make some BPCS security access adjustments for
REAL_USER_NAME and I said "Huh, that person name does not have a 400 sign
on?"
    * We don't do sales taxes ... If effectivity dates, or other rules
data, got changed then changed back, would you have any way of knowing?