Jose,

Thank you for the very detailed and constructive comments, I appreciate your
advice very much.

I have done more prototyping today and found out about the X-ref table
implications. As you described, this table does not help us at all since
it's only used to display or print customer information, but all
transactions still take place in the stocking U/M. So at the end, I am back
to my initial assumption which is that we'll probably have to deal with two
versions of the same product. In my tests, I placed a resupply order from
our Canadian plant to the US plant. Using the cross-reference table, the
item ordered in KG got replaced by the one in Pounds, which is what I
wanted. I picked, confirmed and billed as expected. however, when it was
time to receive the item into stock in Canada, the line showed up in Pounds.
Grrrr...

Now for your comments: there should not be any confusion to our customers,
because they will always order in Kilos. To them it does not matter if our
manufacturing process and stocking methods use Pounds in the US. All they
see on their orders and invoices are Kilos, because BPCS can handle that
pretty well. By the way we also bill them in CAD and EUR (don't ask :-)...)
and that works fine too.

At the end of the day, I don't see a good solution in BPCS to this problem.
One way may prove to be less painful than the other. I lean towards this
organization:
1. In Canada, all manufacturing will take place in Kilos. Items will carry a
suffix ".KG".
2. In Canada, I will create a separate warehouse for "Goods received in LB"
3. When resupplying Canada from the US (internal or external orders), all
orders will be taken in Kilos and automatically translated into Pounds for
US manufacturing and shipping.
4. Raw materials and finished goods shipped from the US will be received in
Canada under the "suffix-less" original item number. Local personnel will
have to use the "RD" transaction to redesignate the item into a ".KG" after
receipt, as well as "A" to adjust the quantity by a factor of  0.45. After
this, a "T" transaction will be applied to transfer goods into warehouses
managed in Kilos. That's 4 inventory transactions to receive into stock!
5. Canadian Bills of Materials will be in Kilos. Shipments from Canada will
be in Kilos.

I am still trying to figure out how our Canadian employees will Ship Confirm
a customer order taken in the US but shipped from Canada.

Regards,

    Fred Berger