 Press Release
New from emerging U.K Software Company Small Blue comes an archiving solution
for BPCS users. Small Blue was formed by Clare Holtham and Sally Bosman, who
between them have over 20 years experience of BPCS and the AS/400, having
worked for SSA and IBM. They aim to provide high quality solutions in the
midrange arena.

At last you can now archive old BPCS data and dramatically improve online
transaction processing.  The archived data can be stored offline, or kept on
disk for users to query. Archived data can be accessed via the normal BPCS
enquiry programs. You want to archive your data periodically, but other than a
few purges at month-end, BPCS offers no comprehensive archiving function. You
could write your own, however the Small Blue solution takes care of all the
BPCS file dependencies so that you don't end up with 'orphaned' data.

After two or three years of live running with BPCS, transactions are slowing
down and performance is sluggish. In particular V5 and V6 BPCS applications use
SQL extensively, and SQL performance is affected by the size of the files and
the number of deleted records. In fact SQL may read through every deleted
record in a file, and even without SQL a huge orders file will take several
seconds to open.

 Perhaps after a year or so of processing you believe that your workload has
increased beyond the capacity of your I-Series, and you will have to spend
megabucks to upgrade the hardware? Maybe not - archiving a substantial amount
of BPCS data could lower the CPU workload below the pain threshold.

Companies have used the Archiving solution to allow them to restart the BPCS
order numbers after they reached 900,000 or more. Users can still interrogate
the orders from the archived sequence.

Small Blue Archiving is.
 ˇ         Easy and quick to install

ˇ         Simple to set-up and use

ˇ         Can be run from the menus or from a job scheduler

ˇ         Respects the integrity of the BPCS file relationships

ˇ         Batch archiving optimised for performance

ˇ         Archived data available for user enquiries via standard BPCS

ˇ         User files, extension files etc can be added to the archive - you
simply specify the file names and the linking field names

 ˇ         ZPD file archive allows archiving by document type

ˇ         User profile archiving across the entire system

ˇ         You choose which dates to use for archiving - some BPCS files have
many possible dates, for example order shipped date, order entered date, and so
on.

 ˇ         Authorisation option allows you to set which options a user can
access

For further information please visit our website www.smallblue.co.uk or contact
Dave Oberlé on +44 1737 789777 (Dave.Oberle@smallblue.co.uk).