Can anyone tell me how BPCS Priorities work?
That's where you put a priority number in some order.
We have been going strictly by DUE DATE and not using the priority code.

But now we have situation where a high manager takes a special interest in a particular set of requirements, and we want to treat the children of that parent as if it is a HOT exception to MRP because that is what is what is needed to keep the high manager happy.

What I would like to know is if you put some priority code in the parent order (customer or end item part), does MRP or anything automatically populate that code to all children orders, even through DRP, or does that have to be done manually? I was thinking that if it was practical to manage the priority codes, then I would modify our modified shop dispatch reports to include the latest priority code. Even if it has to be done manually ... we now have reports that show MRP recommended date changes, to which we could add the latest priority code status.

We had a situation where the flow of the part was as follows:
Final Customer Order from facility-30 was cancelled in error.
Most of the assembly work in warehouse-P
Many of the individual wires (leads) made in facility 40 (orders created through DRP which we have modified)
One of the leads was past due 1 month due to a shortage of terminals (that go on the ends of the wires) ... the people in facility 40 knew all about that, but somehow the consequences of this were not adequately communicated up the line.

If you do MRP300 pegging ... can you cross DRP all the way up to the end requirement ... our BOM etc. is by facility. In other words if the facility 40 staff was not so busy, there should be some way for them to get at what the consequences are of a major bottleneck so as to know who needs to be told, what customer part(s) impacted by this.

I am in the minority here thinking it is obvious that we need OTTO http://www.systemspluscorp.com/

Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
See Al http://www.ryze.com/view.php?who=Al9Mac