My biggest issues with BPCS calculation of MPS are related to distribution
requirements.  If you have a single shipping location using these functions
should be much simpler.  Other issues that I've noted are as follows:
*       The dynamic minimum balance calculated from horizon days and minimum
balance days is not really dynamic.  By this I mean that BPCS uses the current
values for the calculation then applies the result to the end of time,
regardless of demand changes.  This means that if you have high demand now your
minimum balance will remain inflated.
*       MPS and MRP calculations do NOT consider expiration dates on inventory
lots so that if all of your inventory is about to expire MRP will NOT tell you
to order more.
*       The exception messages tend to be a lot of trouble because there is no
sensitivity setting.  You tend to get a lot of move in / move out messages that
only change the delivery date by a day or two.
*       Ignores orders entered in to a past due date as Al Mac points out.
*       There is no functionality to allow for stock based substitutions or
engineering changes.
I hope that this helps but the most important thing is to make sure that the
users are fully aware of what each of the planning codes is intended to
address, not only mathematically but functionally as well.  APICS education can
be a great asset at addressing this issue.

Mitch Damon, CPIM
Planning Systems Manager
Agrilink Foods, Rochester NY
(585) 383-1070 ext. 250