We are on 6.0.04, mixed mode

We looked into running the SYS994 notes re-org program and found an issue
with it that resulted in a BMR 61186 write up with SSA in March, 2002.  We
were able to run it in our test environment so luckily we did not effect any
of our production data.

The ESN and MPN files were cleared of all 'orphaned' notes and then the
remaining notes were resequenced properly.  We found the ESN file cleaned-up
orphaned notes mostly in the PO (type P) , and customer order line notes
(type L), but it was still less than 1% of our note file size.  The MPN file
cleaned up mostly the routing (type R) notes, and it was closer to 2% of the
existing file size.

The INT (lot note) file however, gave us problems. We found it would
resequence the notes based on the entry sequence in the INT physical file.
What this did was give us duplicate sequence numbers within a lot number.

For example:

Lot 'A' note entries made on lines 1 - 4 would be numbered 1-4 in the
physcial file.
If you then went into another lot (say lot 'B')and created notes they would
be sequenced 1-4 for that lot number...(and input into the physical file as
entries 5-8).
If you went back into lot 'A' and added lot notes 5 - 8...they would be
separated within the physical file from the first 4 notes for that lot
number...(as physical file entries 9-12)

when we ran the SYS944...we ended up with the following note sequence for
lot 'A'

1 entry number 1
1 entry number 5 for that lot note, (entry number 9 in the physical file)
2 entry number 2
2 entry number 6 for that lot note, (entry number 10 in the physical file)
3 entry number 3
3 entry number 7 for that lot note, (entry number 11 in the physical file)
4 entry number 4
4 entry number 8 for that lot note, (entry number 12 in the physical file)

As our four lines of notes were actual sentences of critical information
concerning warranty information, customer contact information, RMA
information, freight damage issues, re-work information, etc the
resequencing of the lot notes by SYS994 was unacceptable.

The BMR is not released yet (but it is an A priority) and as the ESN and MPN
file size did not reduce dramatically we found no advantage to run the
SYS994 at this time.  We will probably review it again once the BMR is
released. However, the ESN file is purged and resequenced during the
customer order purge, RMA purge and PO purge programs.  The MPN routing
notes are deleted when a shop order is closed.  For us it would cause more
problems that what we would gain in a 1% - 2% reduction in file size.

In checking the SSA website tonight it looks like this same problem exists
up through version 8.2 on all platforms - so murphy's law says it will
probably be the same issue on your 4.05 version.