6.0.04 Mixed Mode

We also set up our routings to have an operation for the outside process
-setting the outside operation flag in the SFC100 and inputting the cost on
the routing operation for cost roll-up purposes.  We use our vendor number
as the work center and make sure that the work center is set up to report
costing for outside operations on the second page of the CAP100. We also set
up a location that matches the vendor number and transfer our component
items to that location.  We open the shop order and use the shop order pick
list to coordinate sending parts out.

We also create a Purchase order to pay for the outside process (plating,
passivating, etc.)  The problem we have with the this is that when the parts
are recieved everything is recieved against the Purchase order under the U
transaction and this does not relieve or backflush the components from the
vendor location or satisfy the shop order requirements.  There is a separate
transaction that can be used in BPCS that is suppose to effect both PO and
shop order - but how does receiving personnel know when to use it?  We can
not post to the shop order on top of the PO without doubling recieved
inventory.

To address this we set up our routing with a final operation "recieve from
vendor" that never gets posted.  We post the shop order up through the
outside vendor operation and then closing it without posting the last
operation (recieve parts).  Therefore we relieve components using the shop
order but do not recieve against the shop order.

There is probably a better solution but we have not had the resources to
look into it at this time.  This gives accounting the cost roll-up
information they need, it gives us the PO and PO receipt to properly pay our
outside servicing vendors and tracks inventory of component parts both in
house and at outside source locations.

I'd be interested in knowing if someone has perfected this process also.

Beth A. Norris

Production Control Manager
Fawn Engineering Corp.
Des Moines, IA