i'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but feel free to call me if you want
(626)937-0395.

we also have problems tracking this and we need to improve our procedures. but
here are a few things we do.

we define outside processing work centers by the type of operation that we are
buying. for example there is one work center for chrome plating, one for cad
plating, one for center less grinding, one for anodizing, etc. in effect there
is an op work center for each function, just like you would set up a separate
work center for each function if you did that operation in house.

in the routings we put the operation that is done op at the appropriate op work
center. we put the standard cost of performing that operation for that part in
the OP cost field of the routing operation. the op work centers have to be set
up properly so that they roll in the OP costs properly when you do a cost
generation. we have had problems with this and we run some queries periodically
to ensure that the op work centers are set up properly for the cost generation.

we have a location defined in our WIP warehouse called OUTPRO. all of the op
work centers are set up with this location as the back flush from / to
location. i believe that it is our intent to move material into the OUTPRO
location prior to sending it out OP and to remove it from this location when it
returns, but we don't do this well.

hope this helps somewhat. this is not an easy task within bpcs, (at least we
haven't found the secret to it yet.)

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> RickCarter@holley.com 05/31/02 07:35AM >>>
BPCS 6.1.01  Mixmode AS400

This is a tough question to ask since it is very dependant on a companies
procedures.  We encounter a lot of production where we send goods to
oustide vendors for partial production.   We call this our Outside
Processing.   It's been difficult to properly track this within our system
especially with regards to properly tracking cost  associated with this.
We've spoken to SSA and they have sent us a large BMR pack that has mods to
the way this can be handled.   Does anyone on the list do a lot of this
type of Outside processing and would you be willing to explain your
procedures on tracking this within BPCS.  This can be done offline if
necessary and I would want to have someone in my Cost Dept. involved in
this discussion.   Email me at
rickcarter@holley.com    or call 270 745 9532 .

thanks