As a new user, you might also like to browse the archives of past discussions
at
http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l/index.htm

There are some fields in some files that contain a date that represents the
last time that item warehouse location combination had a transaction changing
the inventory value there.  You might want that date updated due to an actual
change in the total corporate inventory due to production, sales, receipts,
but not due to moving the inventory around between locations or taking a
physical inventory.  That is the function of the field in ITE designating
which inventory transactions are to update the date of last activity in such
files as the IIM & the locations of the inventory.

Whether the date is updated or not, the transaction puts a record into ITH.

You can use filters on INV300 to show selected subsets of ITH detail.

If you do a transaction through BPCS to change the inventory quantity, it
will write a record to ITH as well as changing the inventory quantity.  You
can add transaction types to ITE to define all manner of activity & there are
several BPCS programs that use these effects, mainly INV500 & the labor
transaction reporting.  Some transactions that change the cost of inventory,
but do not actually change the on-hand quantity, also write a record to ITH,
such as when a vendor invoice is posted.

If you change the costs of inventory via CST100, it will write a record to
ITH that you did so.  If you change costs by some other method, such as
CST900 or CST600, then this change in inventory valuation is invisible to ITH.

Depending on how lax your security, you can go outside of BPCS and make
changes to the data base without them being reflected in the inventory
transaction history, or use the BPCS programs, then erase the record of your
actions.

Some of this stuff you have to do because BPCS is a bit buggy & humans are
not infallible, and equipment, particularly PCs, have a tendency to go down
in the middle of some update.  So for example, some files can get out of sync
with each other & we run some kind of reorg to fix the data.  This correction
will not show up in ITH if your company policy is not to have an audit trail
with respect to such corrections.

When you are on any BPCS screen, you can put cursor on a field that has
information, then press the F1 (HELP) key.  Almost always a panel pops up
with a little essay on the function of that field & pointers to where you can
get more information.

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated
http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com = new name same quality wire
engineering company: fax # 812-424-6838