It would be nice if OGS were free and a lot of your
points are valid - however - don't look for anything
like that to ever happen anytime soon. A majority of
SSA GT's current revenue stream is the result of OGS.
In fact you can probably expect OGS rates to rise in
the future as SSA GT becomes more dependant on them to
stay in business. They will continue to offer support
for any version - but at a significant price.  The
older the version the more you will pay. I've heard of
a lot of client auditing going on in order to squeeze
more out of the installed base to correct the
inadequaties of the old company. When a company is not
selling many new software licenses all it has to fall
back on are it's maintenance (OGS) revenues to stay
afloat (much like CA in the past).  I would look very
closely at how much you are utilizing the help desk,
future plans to upgrade, and the need for bug fixes
when making your decision to ante up for another year.
 If you're on a stable version with relatively few
problems and don't desire to upgrade anytime soon, or
have a future exit strategy the continuance of OGS
makes little sense.