Santa,

We are on 6.04, mixed mode and we have used queue days & move days in our
routings.

The move days is the amount of time you want to have after you complete the
job (say to move parts).  The hitch is that you need to open your shop
orders by backward scheduling for it to pick up move days.

Normally the queue days is the number of days that it takes before you run a
job - if you need a couple of days to prepare to run the job then use queue
days.  As we generally backward schedule all of ours are set up for move
days - I don't remember if the queue days is used when you forward schedule
only - it may be included in the backward scheduling also.

The actual run time is what you have set up using the basis code (which you
can set up by hours per piece, or pieces per hour, the help text is great
for this area if you are unsure of which to use.)  This value is the machine
or labor time it takes to actually run a part.  Don't forget that when you
open the shop order the due dates/start dates are calculated based on the
capacity of the work center (do you have 1 shift for 8 hours available?, or
2 shifts for a total of 16 hours? do you have multiple machines tied to a
work center?, do you have a work center effiecency of 80%? also make sure
that your work center loading codes are set up for the type of hours you
have in the routing machine or labor hours, etc.)

For simplicity sake take the following example:

If you set up with 2 days in queue time, and your standard run time is 100
pieces per hour, and your workcenter is available for 8 hours. When you open
up the shop order (forward schedule) for 1000 pieces.  The due date will be
4 days from the start date, 2 days to get it ready and 10 hours to run.

If you set up the same part with 2 days in move time then you will get the
same if you backward schedule - but your due date will be what you assign
with the system assigning the start date 4 days earlier.

We have not gotten sophisticated enough here to use the negative values in
our routings so I am not an expert.  So the following being in theory
only...If you have more than one operation - you can use a negative value in
the move/queue days (backward vs forward scheduling)to overlap the
operations.  In the above example - if you want to start the second
operation after completing the first 100 pieces at the first operation -
then set the move days on the first operation to -0.875 - "in theory" you
are telling the system to move the parts after the first hour of run time if
you backward schedule.

Word of caution - Whatever number of days you use in the routing should
match the lead time days for the MRP planning record (CIC file).  The
routing run times (pcs per hour, hours per pcs) should match the MRP daily
lead time rate.  This way the system does not 'knee jerk' rescheduled dates
and due dates on lower level components once the shop order is opened.

Good luck

Beth A. Norris
Production Control Manager
Fawn Engineering