From:   Bruce Barker [SMTP:bruce.barker@ise-indy.com]
<mailto:[SMTP:bruce.barker@ise-indy.com]>
Sent:   Thursday, December 06, 2001 2:31 PM
Subject:        BPCS Newsletter

 http://www.ise-indy.com/original_logo_layers.gif
<http://www.ise-indy.com/original_logo_layers.gif>
BPCS® Newsletters
Bruce Barker <mailto:bruce.barker@ise-indy.com>  C.P.I.M.
President, (317) 814-7616
Information Systems Experts, Inc.

BPCS® Support and
Programming <http://www.ise-indy.com/consult/bpcs/index.html>
$65 an hour
Satisfaction Guaranteed

Creating AP Invoices directly from PO receipts

BPCS User Conference

Streamlining Contract PO Receipts

ISE recently developed a program to automatically create AP invoices from
selected PO receipts. In addition to eliminating a tremendous amount of data
entry and data entry errors, it greatly simplifies the reconciliation
process. Since the invoice was created for the quantity received and the
expected price from the PO, the 3-way match is always satisfied.

We set up this process so that users can specify exactly which vendors are
automated for this process, and can choose to manually invoice some vendors
while automatically invoicing others. Along with this program is a series of
detailed reports that enable the user to quickly understand the status of
the invoices. The program also records any problems that might have
occurred. The user can then make the data corrections and reprocess the PO
receipt so that the invoices are correctly created.
-Phil Dixon

I attended the BPCS user conference a few weeks ago and was impressed by
many things. In the next few newsletters, I will try to share some of what I
saw for those who were not able to attend.
-Bruce Barker

SSAGT focuses on ROI

In addition to many specific enhancements to the BPCS software, the most
impressive change I saw in SSAGT is the management philosophy. Mike
Greenough, CEO, has already made many expense cuts that were not producing
revenue or value. And there were strong hints that several strategic changes
in direction would happen in the next couple of years to reduce non-value
add activities. Even though V8 is in AS/SET, AS/SET itself is being
considered for replacement, and Unix and NT are questionable. Greenough
himself stated that future versions of BPCS would only be released on Unix
or NT if there was sufficient demand. Given that Unix and NT versions of
BPCS only generate 6% of SSAGT revenue, there is not sufficient demand now.
If/When AS/SET, unix, and NT are all dropped by SSAGT, those development
dollars can be focused on improving BPCS functionality.
-Bruce Barker
A client had us simplify their contract PO receiving. The new process allows
entry of an item, PO #, and quantity. It then automatically receives the
entered quantity to the oldest open PO line for the specified item. If the
quantity to be received exceeds the open quantity on the oldest PO line, it
receives the remaining quantity to the next oldest PO line. Any remaining
quantity greater than the quantity ordered will be received to the last open
PO line.

This client also had us add logic to automatically assign the location
according to their location selection rules. Labels are printed for each
location that inventory will be placed into. The process handles both
receipt to inspection and receipt directly to inventory. The savings are in
both data entry and in tighter control of over receipts since only the last
PO line can be over-received.
-Christy Byerly

ISE has been writing custom code to work with BPCS® since its beginning in
1991. Bruce Barker, the lead BPCS® consultant, has been working with BPCS®
since 1987. We have worked with every major release of BPCS® both on the S38
and the AS/400. We have used almost all releases of RPG including ILE and
AS/SET, have also modified AS/SET generated RPG. Our BPCS® billing rate for
2001 is $65 per hour.

BPCS® is a registered trademark of System Software Associates, Inc.