Great idea using MRP140 that way. But if you have multiple facilities,
you will be in trouble. Each facility may require different planning
data for the same item number.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Chick Doe [mailto:Cdoe@barton-instruments.com]
Sent:   Saturday, October 27, 2001 9:58 AM
To:     bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject:        Re: Item Master "Ownership"

good question, no good answer!

these remarks apply to v6.04

we have just a couple of people that have access to the INV100 program
and who can update data on it. the problem is that if you have access to
that program you can update anything. we took the code fro INV100 and
wrote our own "DISPLAY ONLY' version of it. we give the common users
access to the display only version of the program.

a couple of other things that we do.
1. for MRP planning data we have given all of the buyers and planners
access to MRP140 and have told them to maintain the planning data using
MRP140. each evening we have a program that read the CIC records
(maintained via MRP140) and transfer the current planning data from the
CIC record to the Item master so that it is duplicated into the item
master (IIM) record. thus people that look at INV100 data see the
current planning data.
2. we tried the form to get all of the data needed to set up an item
master but we found it to be slow and unreliable. so when we set up a
new item master we enter as much information as engineering can give us.
but we load a series of default values into the lead time, planner code,
and a thing item class fields. (Either 999 or *) we then run a series of
queries each night that select all item master records that have these
default values and list them. these are distributed to various
departments that are then responsible for getting their data loaded. for
example, a part that has a planner code of * goes to production control
and they have to load the proper planner code, lead time, order policy
data, etc. they can do this via MRP140. once the data gets loaded it
overrides the default data and the part stops appearing on the query.
does this work? most of the time, but it is not fool proof

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> Zzbpcs@aol.com 10/26/01 05:44AM >>>

Good Day
Although we are on Release 4.05 CD, the question is a generic MRP II
question:
Which department(s) has ownership over the Item Master File ?
With BPCS, many different departments have a vested interest in the
accuracy
of
specific fields. How does YOUR organization handle who does the actual
Maintenance of the Item Master, Bills of Material, Routings, ......
We circulate a " Form " to various departments so that they manually
write
down the values of "their" fields. Eventually, the form gets to the desk
of
one person who actually keys the data into BPCS.
"Sometimes" this takes longer than we wish !!

Thanks,
Jim Barry
Belchertown Mass
at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.