  • Subject: Re: Inventory Onhand By Date
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:37:52 EDT

> BPCS 6002plf Cum March 98 AS/400 Full Client Server
>
>  Can you give me how to get the on hand by date and the cost of each
>  product ?

Our BPCS 405 CD might not have all the capabilities your version has, but
this is how we get at that information.

1. CST300 is the easiest way to get at the cost of individual items.
We use cost set 1 actual, 2 standard.
Fill in item, facility, cost sets, take F16 & you get a good picture.
If you want this information on a bunch of items, CST300 can be a bit
tedious, so we use Query/400 against CMF file, accessing cost bucket 0 which
is the grand total of all cost buckets.  That gets us a nice chart of items &
their costs.
Most every BPCS using company has additional reports added to structure the
data whichever way we want.
There's also lots of reports on the standard CST menu.

A big challenge is drilling down BOM & shop order history to figure out where
a cost variance comes from.  But getting the cost story on just one item at a
time is easy.

2. INV300 will tell you the on-hand right now for any item.
There are lots of filters so you can see what it is in a particular facility,
warehouse, location.
F21 tells you what it was yesterday, last week, last month.
set your filters for what kind of on-hand perspective you interested in
then F8 back through inventory history as deep as you retain it with SYS800

If your interest is in a particular past date, for a bunch of items, I guess
someone could write a program to use this INV300 F21 logic to reconstruct
on-hand balance retroactively as of that date for the many items.

The easiest to access is as of end-of-last fiscal-month since the Opening
Balance for the month is what the on-hand was at that time,

CST300 & INV300 are on menus all over creation, but if you have User Menus,
you not need to find the right menu for a BPCS option ... in the upper right
corner of User Menus is a place you key in the name of the program you want
to run ... I suggest practicing "C" on the end because with some programs,
there is a prompt screen & other job stream steps you don't want to skip.
Your attention key might also be setup to support access to list of BPCS
programs.

3. Let's suppose you want to know what the cost was of some item at some
historical date.  In the interim there has been all sorts of cost changes,
cost roll-ups, shop order purges, etc.  This is a sort of topic that we have
been very interested in, because we try to track where cost variances come
from & keep on top of cost fluctuations that push in the direction of current
pricing.

ITH is the only history file which has the standard cost, the actual cost,
and the price of an item, at the time of the inventory transaction.  Other
files have 1 or 2 of those 3, or have the data only in summary format,
averaging multiple costs.

Thus, imagine a list of all inventory transactions on a particular item, in
which you are focusing on the unit cost on the date of the transaction, and
have the program that does the list treat the unit cost as an RPG control
break ... you only interested in the first & last date that the unit cost was
a particular way.  Something I think of doing some time ... we not actually
have this report right now.