  • Subject: Engineering Change & EIX File
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 22:30:51 EDT

From Al Macintyre

We have some scenarios in conflict for 405 CD that I could use some
suggestions to help with.

1. Our end item # is made to be the same as the customer item # whenever
practical.  We have some adjustments when customer # is longer than 15
characters or when 2 customers have 2 parts with coincidentally the same item
#, but this is extremely rare.  We are make to customer specifications so it
makes it extremely convenient to handle customer communications using end
part # that is THEIR #.

2. One customer is now ordering
1500 pars a week of which
1300 are at revision B
  200 are at revision C
of their same part # for concurrent production.

Question, is this something that other manufacturers using BPCS have
encountered & if so, how have you resolved it?

My suggestion was to copy item / routings / BOM such that
the latest revision continues to match customer item #
let's call it "12345678 New" for clarity of this discussion purpose.

I also suggested copying to a temporary item # that would match the old
revision #, which would eventually go away when the customer no longer needs
the old revision
let's call it "12345678 Old" for clarity of this discussion purpose.

3. We have not been using EIX customer cross index ORD350 ORD150 ORD155

Question, will BPCS let us have a customer item # which is same item # as one
of our internal item #s, in other words

Could we have customer orders on customer item #
"12345678 New" in EIX file
pointing at our cross reference internal item
12345678 Old (revision B) in IIM FRT MBM files

and at same time have customer orders on our internal item
12345678 New (revision C) in IIM FRT MBM files

This way we would be internally concurrently producing separate slightly
different item #s representing revision B or C
while the customer sees 12345678 New for both revision B and C,
except for associated notes that say what revision this is for.

That is my idea - we have not been using the EIX file so I do not know if
this is doable, and I have no idea how we would tell customer orders to use
the EIX substitution vs. our internal item by the same number.

Is my idea practical without any BPCS modifications?